I love doing lights so much, I started looking at the Falcon Player and instantly fell in love. So, I have an update coming that will save files as .fseq format. Nothing fancy at the moment, but we will see how this is received.
See 4 NOV 2015 post.
I want to thank all the people who have been supportive in the development of Vixen+, especially those who financially donated to the project. Doing software development alone is not for me. There are some folks who can do it, I am not one. Sadly, I can’t do it anymore. The code is open on github if anyone would like to take a stab at forking, go forth and do good. I will probably not be updating these pages much anymore, especially links, so just download the version that is here and then check for update under the help menu, you’ll get the latest version that way. It’s been fun…. — John
Check out the latest download page for the links to our latest version.
We also have a tutorial video available as well…
Okay folks, here it is but first a couple warnings:
- This is considered an early preview release, please only use on backed up data. Install it in a different location than you normally use the stable release. I have tried to test everything, but there are significant changes as to how Vixen+ handles its profiles, groups, plugins and channels.
- I will not be available tomorrow (27 May 2014) since I “get” to go to a funeral. Oh joy
- The data directory structure has changed a lottle bit (that’s a little but a lot) take a look, it is obvious once you look, but don’t just copy over your old data directory and expect it to work. Once we get to the scheduler and the on-line sequence exchange done, these changes will make more sense (or maybe not, but to me they do.)
- Please report bugs using Jira. Also, please attach the crash.log to bugs if one is available. I will fix them as quick as possible and push out a new release.
- Speaking of fixes, for the time being, this version will not auto update, watch this space for new releases with bug fixes. It may still check, but it will not find anything to update.
- If you start to see files that end with .x, don’t delete them for the time being, they are backups of your data, just in case something doesn’t work
- Elf preview may or may not work, I have not tested it, but a better AP is coming.
- Save As does not export to Vixen 2.x as of today, that will be coming very soon.
- There are spelling and grammar errors in the Release Notes (sorry Mat!)
Okay, on with the good news:
- The new profile manager is here, setup everything about your profiles in one place…channels, plugins and groups. Since nutcracker models can span across multiple profiles, they are set in their own spot. You may have noticed one thing missing from the profiles and that is Sort Orders! They are gone since they were evil. However, I have automatically converted you sort orders to groups. Groups are good, and they are going to get better, very, very soon. (Think RGB channels in a single row type good. Think beat track good.) In preparation for these changes I have removed sort orders since they are not needed anymore and that allowed me to remove almost 1200 lines of code that is what we in the business like to call spaghetti code. No one shall every speak the name of sort orders from this time forward (well you can speak of them, but they are dead! Good riddance!)
- The profile manager is quite a change, there will be a tutorial on Saturday, May 31st about these new functions and …
- …NUTCRACKER in Vixen+ – now before you get too excited, it was a version Sean, et. al. did about 4 months ago (I think Sean has done 347 releases since then — okay not really, but when the bugs are all squished, I will catch up to Sean and then keep lock step with them. I’ve rewritten my implementation of Nutcracker 2 times now in order to support adding new functions/effects as soon as they come out in the stand alone version. Again, May 31st we’ll do a little demo of Nutcracker. Watch for the announcement post coming later tonight.
- A couple of Jira bugs were fixed in this release as well. See the release notes for more info.
- Version 0.2.41.1 was 4,044,244 bytes (3.85MBytes), the new version with added functionality is only 2,232,550 bytes (2.12MBytes) – a 45% reduction in size – with the reduced size comes speed, I have tested Vixen+ with 40,000 channels (78+ universes for you DMX folks) and it ran flawlessly. I can tweak more performance out of it, but to do so, I am going to be moving to .Net 4.5 and that will mean that I will no longer be supporting Windows XP come January 1, 2015. Forewarned is forearmed.
While I don’t anticipate any really big, nasty bugs, it could happen, but when they are all fixed, I am starting on the Scheduler (Vixen+ Conductor) and the “new” AP (Vixen+ Rehearsal) so ideas you have for those can be started in another thread.
Hmm, what am I missing? I feel like I am missing something….well I guess it will just have to wait…just kidding, here are the links…
We will be using Live stream for the video and then the VixenPlus chat room on DIYChristmas.org for chat. There is a 15 second delay from recording to broadcast, but we will keep the chat window up for folks to see here. Since we are using a free LiveStream account, you the viewer will have to register for a free LiveStream account to view the presentation. I have not gotten any SPAM from them since I registered.
The AM session will be at https://new.livestream.com/accounts/…events/2985828 (I will start the stream at 8:45am PST and end around 12:00PM PST for lunch)
The PM session will be at https://new.livestream.com/accounts/…events/2985852 (I will start after lunch about 1:15pm PST and end when we’re done)
We’re holding a mini conference (hope to have it broadcast live) on May 17th. For more information visit DIYChristmas.org
Which now also includes an auto update feature. Vixen Plus is coming into its own.
Latest Version is 0.2.38.1 which can be had from the download latest version links here on vixenplus.com
Thank you to everyone for you outpouring of support. It is greatly appreciated.
Version 0.2.32.1 – Released February 1, 2014
New to this version:
- Bug #133 – FIXED – Insert paste is not working correctly and undo doesn’t undo every change, you lose events at the end of the line.
- Bug #134 – FIXED – Color’s don’t update in profile editing screen when you exit from color dialog.
- Added more detail to channel XML checking if a Null Reference Exception is thrown.
- Added the ability to select all events for a channel in the channel context menu. (Right click on a channel)
- Added the ability to select all events for a period in the event context menu. (Right click in the waveform)
- Updated FMOD to version 4.44.30
- Bug #135 – FIXED – The title tag from an MP3 file was not being read by FMOD properly, implemented custom solution bypassing flawed FMOD implementation.
Our first tutorial in what I hope to be a bi-weekly event entitled “How to use Vixen+”
NOTE: This was our first try at using OBS to encode/webcast video and the settings did not stick when the video was rendered. Sorry for the black around the video. — John
In out first ever video documentation for Vixen+, Justin walks us through the process of installing and then updating Vixen+